An essential aspect of innovation, Big Data has changed the way the world used to look at information. With huge volumes of data or information being generated every second, data scientists are always looking out for efficient ways to analyze and use data to their maximum benefits. With every single industry becoming highly data-sensitive, the primary focus is slowly shifting from data generation to data analysis. Apart from corporate sectors, the education sector is also witnessing effective use of Big Data. Big data analytics involves the usage of advanced techniques to analyze data for practical purposes. Upcoming technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning are driving significant changes in the field of big data analytics. Efficient management of big data has become much easier with data entry outsourcing services that help process high quality and accurate data within short turnaround times.
How Is Big Data Shaping the Education Industry?
The educational industry has to deal with a huge amount of student data. As thousands of students get enrolled in several institutes every year in a variety of courses, a humungous amount of data gets generated on a day-to-day basis. The important question is – how to start working with these data at the system level – that is analyzing information and making decisions based on the data received. Modern institutions use their data to analyze the educational experience of students which in turn can help teachers educate students in a better manner. Big Data is also used for modifying the whole education system so that the students are offered a wholesome learning plan.
How can educational institutions benefit from Big Data? Every educational entity, comprising schools, colleges, universities, has voluminous student records with an unbelievable amount of information. This data when processed can benefit educational establishments in several ways. Data in the education domain is of different types like – personal data (such as course details, enrolment year, student ID, exam grades and marks obtained in individual subjects), data on the interaction of students with electronic learning systems (e-textbooks, online courses), data on the effectiveness of learning materials, administrative (system-wide) data and projection data. Fortunately, modern technologies can help automate and enhance the process of data gathering and analysis.
Every piece of educational data – right from grades to personal information to attendance metrics – can be effectively utilized to improve in-class teaching, modify the establishment’s organization, and revamp unpopular courses. Here discussed are some important ways in which Big Data technology is utilized in the education filed –
- Facilitates the Decision-making Process – Big Data can be effectively utilized to process the information and enter in the database so that it can be easily and conveniently accessed and analyzed. For instance, a school tries to implement a new teaching and testing technique to interact with the students but only on selected courses. After a semester (or even more time), the student data from traditional courses and improved ones get compared. The new methodology that gets picked involves a clear analysis that shows the student grades rising on average, the students themselves reporting more active learning, and teachers indicating more engagement from students. Therefore, incorporating data science in the education industry and computer-based analysis into the decision-making of educational establishments certainly persuades the school management to select development directions that benefit operations as a whole.
- Enhance Student Performance Results – One of the most common methods of analyzing a student’s performance is through their grades obtained in exams, assignments and other type of projects. All these grades can be combined to evaluate a unique data track left by the student all throughout his/her studies. Analyzing these data trails will help educators understand the behavior and performance of students. With Big Data, you can monitor student performances or actions like – response time for exam questions, type of questions they skip or answer successfully, and sources they select to educate themselves. The real-time analysis helps in offering students improved feedback on their performance, which in turn can significantly improve their final results as they can better understand the core areas where they still lag behind.
- Help in Better Grading System – Big Data helps educators track or understand the performance of an individual student on a collective level. The statistical analysis of individual grades will help educators analyze the key areas of interest among students where they have excelled in performance. This will also make it easy for teachers or educators to provide valuable feedback to students and assist them in choosing the right career path. For instance, several Big Data tools like – Socrative, Nearpod and Classroom Monitor are used to analyze the performance and behavior of students in real-time and provide better learning solutions to them.
- Capturing Students’ Attention – No matter how interesting or engaging the lecture is, there will always be some inattentive students. Big data technology uses the biometric data of students, such as heart rate, facial expressions and objects they touch during the lecture – which gets captured via a camera. This data will be further used for analyzing the level of attentiveness of each student, and based on the feedback further steps will be taken to regain the students’ attention.
- Analytics of Educators – Educators can obtain maximum benefits of big data analytics due to the processing of data-driven systems. These can help institutions create several learning experiences as per students’ learning capability and preference. In fact, multiple programs can be promoted which in turn can encourage individuals to select the specific area they desire to learn. Educators can improve their teaching skills after receiving feedback for a better learning experience equally for all students.
- Customized or Personalized Programs – Big data helps educators design customized programs for students based on their grades and after understanding their career plans. Through customized programs, students are offered a unique opportunity for both online and offline learning, wherein they can study at their own pace and seek valuable guidance from their professors.
- Reducing the Number of Dropouts – As per reports, about 400,000 students are expelled from the universities of the United States every year. Many students take loans to continue higher education. The students’ dropout creates a negative impact on the institutions themselves. The more the number of students dropping out, the less profitable the institution will be and the less government financial support they will receive. Big Data is used to analyze students’ participation in a variety of campus activities. This parameter is considered to be a key one in terms of academic success. By performing predictive analysis, the institution monitors the frequency of a student visiting the campus and evaluates their performance in diverse campus activities with the help of identification cards. If a student’s involvement is decreasing, the university staff can identify the cause and offer assistance. Such an analysis will also help the institute authorities to execute a scenario analysis on a particular course before it is introduced. This can significantly help teachers to guide their students towards the course that will suit them the best.
- Career Prediction – With Big data, a detailed analysis into the students’ learning performance data spread out across all course subjects can be performed. This will help clearly understand the level of progress, strengths and weaknesses of a student. This in turn allows career counselors to help students pick specific areas of study or courses that they will actually be enthusiastic to learn about.
The application of Big Data analytics in the field of education has revolutionized the sector by transforming the way several key functions are performed. The data available in the education industry is huge in volume and understanding the correct usage of each type of data and how it helps enhance the key functions can be challenging. However, the introduction of advanced and sophisticated analytics tools has made data analysis easier. With the help of a data entry service provider, educational institutions can collect, organize and analyze data and use it productively. Educational institutions are using Big Data to screen applicants, decide who will be a perfect fit for the institute and who will not fit in the specific area. This in turn has helped educational institutes reduce the relative time spent on the selection process.