The demand for eBooks is surging, driven by technological advancements, the development of sophisticated reading devices, the rapid adoption of smartphones, and the multilingual features of eBooks, and their potential to protect the environment. Designing, formatting and creating an eBook and getting it ready for publication is a highly technical process that requires expertise. Hiring eBook conversion services is the best way for authors and publishers to convert digital manuscripts into top quality eBook compatible content that can be read on popular eReaders, smartphones, tablets, and other devices.
Benefits of Outsourcing eBook Conversion
Readers turned to digital books during pandemic driven lockdowns and eBooks have enthusiastically been adopted in the educational sector. Statistica predicts the number of eBook readers will reach 1,162.7m users by 2025. While it is possible to create eBooks using free and paid software tools that support multiple file formats, it is best to use professional eBook conversion services if you are looking for top quality conversion. The general benefits of outsourcing eBook conversion include:
- Services of professionals who are competent in ebook conversion
- Utilization of the best tools to digitize content, including document scanning services
- Multi-lingual, multidimensional perspective and interactive content
- Typesetting consultations and eBook cover design services to produce a unique product
- Conversion files into digital eBook formats quickly
- Expertise to meet unique formatting and customization requirements
- World-class look with effective presentation, packaging, encoding and inclusion of videos, images, audio and other resources
- Conversion to meet international standards for digital publications – EPUB format, the official standard of the IDPF (International Digital Publishing Forum)
- Flexible conversion solutions – eBook formats compatible with many smartphones and readers including iPad, iPhone, Nook, Kobo and other Android tablets
- Support to update eBook with modifications done later on
- Cost-effective solutions
Know your eBook Conversion Outsourcing Company
Outsourcing eBook conversion allows you get the technicalities handled by an expert and obtain a quality product as you focus on your work. There are many outsourcing companies offering e-book conversion services. You need to do your research well to choose the right company. Knowing what each company offers can help you choose a provider that can meet your specific requirements. With the aim to make this easier for you, we reviewed the services offered by 7 leading eBook conversion service providers.
- Outsource2india (O2I) offers eBook conversion services for publishers, universities, corporations, and authors worldwide. You can get eBooks formatted for use on tablets, iPads, Kindle Fires, Mobipocket Readers and smartphones (Windows-based, BlackBerrys, Android, Symbian etc.).
Service highlights include:
- 40% Cost Reduction
- 8-24 Hrs Faster Turnaround
- 99% Accuracy
The company has 21 years’ experience in the field and claims to have served more than 500 clients.
- SunTec Digital serves authors and publishers and handles all kinds of conversions from a diversified input range and with key eBook readers available today. Integrating audio and video files, using HTML5 with ePub3, embedding animation effects, using CSS3, books with interactive exercises, and multilingual eBooks. They have converted 50 titles in epub and mobi in 52 languages, from English and German to very complex Mandarin, Hebrew, Arabic and more.
SunTec has handled E-conversion projects for top universities and publishers worldwide, such as the World Health Organization (WHO), University of Virginia Press, Oxford University Press, UPNE, Verlagsgruppe Random House Bertelsmann, and UNA-USA. A client review says that SunTec Digital is the only formatter who projected a clear estimate of file size before doing their work, which allowed the Amazon royalty amount to be projected.
- Managed Outsource Solutions (MOS) serves publishers, educational institutions and universities, libraries, museums, and business enterprises. They can convert any type of book into eBook formats such as ePub, ePub3, KF8, and Mobi. PDF, Various file formats can be converted for display on iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, Pocketbook, MobiPocket and Nook Reader. Their website lists their service highlights as:
- Competitive pricing with savings up to 40%
- Stringent quality assurance
- Ability to handle difficult images, graphs, and files
- Can scale to handle projects of any size and complexity
- Cost-effective, customized solutions to meet specifications and turnaround requirements
- Flatworld Solutions (FWS) provides E-book formats for devices such as Kindle, Nook, Adobe Digital Editions, smartphones and iPad. They have an illustrating team that can create new and original cover illustrations, page illustrations and character illustrations that are specially designed for digital book formats. They claim that their ISO-certified team has successfully completed conversion projects involving more than 5 million documents for 19,000 international clients. Service highlights include:
- Fast turnaround
- Cost savings of 60 percent upwards for every project
- EU GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant
- Multi-tier quality checks
- 99 percent compliance with SLA standards
- ebook conversions in any language
- 40% cost reduction
- 8-24 hours turnaround
- 99% Accuracy
- 16 years’ experience
- Free quote
- Ebookifi.com Serves authors and publishers and converts eBook from any file into formats for Amazon Kindle (.mobi), Apple iBookstore (epub), Smashwords, etc. One highlight of their services is that no automation is used for the conversion process. eBook manuscripts are coded manually using HTML and CSS codes which preserves your your eBook’s originality. They provide eBook conversions in English, Arabic, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, and Chinese among others. Service highlights include:
- 72 hour turnaround time
- No royalty payments, authors keep 100% of their profits
- Atozebook Conversion says they have converted over 8000+ titles. They accept all type of file formats like MS Word, Pdf, Adobe Indesign, Quark Xpress, multimedia, printed material, ePub, jpeg, HTML, DHTML, etc. Their website says they can convert eBooks in all formats and for any reader. They also claim to have published more than 10,000 titles from every walk of life, fiction, non-fiction, and catalogs. This company is among the few that has published price quotes for simple books, medium books and complex books on their website. Other highlights:
- 99% and higher accuracy
- Turnaround time of less than 72 hours
- All work is done manually without any software
- Bookbaby provides you with a single printed copy of your book for just $49. Their comprehensive suite of services include: eBooks, printed books, Print On Demand, global distribution, direct-to-reader sales, as well as design and creative services, as well as marketing help. Service highlights include:
- Zero commission, no royalty payments
- More royalties with direct-to-reader sales with BookShop™ to sell both eBooks and printed books straight to your readers
- Free shipping on most book orders
Bookbaby claims to be the only self-publishing company that sends you a finished proof of your eBook.
Choosing an eBook Conversion Company
Now that you know what top E-book conversion services include, you should know the key factors to consider when choosing one. Here’s a checklist of questions that can help you decide:
- Do they provide customized solutions
- Do they offer manual or automated conversion
- What are their data security measures
- Can they handle large volume data conversion, if that’s what you need
Other factors to consider include:
- Multiple input and output formats
- Layouts – fixed or reflowable
- Whether software can be updated
- Whether interactive elements and multimedia elements can be added
Shortlist one or two companies based on your needs and make sure to ask for samples of their work to make your decision.