All families have a huge number of documents that are essential for their personal needs and these documents are often found scattered all over the place. Organizing documents is a major issue when it comes to personal records like tax returns, deeds, leases, warranties, family archives, medical records etc. But digital transformation of all these documents ensures that all the important documents are systematically arranged, made more accessible and also ensures a clutter-free home space. There are many data conversion service providers that offer conversion of personal documents for efficient storage in the long run. Digitized data must be securely maintained to prevent data loss and associated hassles. Here are some considerations.
- Stay away from impersonators: Make sure that you share your personal data only with those people you know and not to strangers. Don’t give out personal information over the phone, or mail, or over the Internet unless you’ve initiated the contact or know who you’re dealing with.
- Dispose all personal information safely: Before disposing any of your electronic devices like computer, laptop, mobile etc, make sure to get rid of all data and ensure that the data is deleted permanently and cannot be recovered.
- Invest in a safe: Safes have become an affordable option. Choose one that is fireproof and has a biometric element to protect critical data.
- Use encrypted external storage: Whether you choose cloud storage, external hard drive or a thumb drive, store all your data in encrypted form as it offers security features like biometric or two factor authentication. Keep your browser secure using encryption software. A “lock” icon on the status bar of your internet browser means your information is safe when it’s transmitted. Look for the lock icon before you send personal information.
- Keep your password private: Make sure to use long and strong passwords for your personal data like bank information and other sensitive data.
- Do not ever share on social networking sites: Do not post too much personal information on social networking sites. Limit access to your networking page to a small group of people and never post your full name, Social Security number, address, phone number, or account numbers on these sites.
- Keep your social security numbers safe: Always be careful about your SSN and if anyone needs your SSN number find out why they want it, how it is used, how they will protect it and what happens if you don’t share the number.
Hackers uploaded more than 12,000 files in January to a cloud hosting service called MEGA. The collection included 87 gigabytes of data, 21 million passwords and 770 million email addresses. It was the largest database of compromised login details ever to have been published. Six collections more appeared online by February and one of those collections was larger than the first and contained more than half a terabyte of data. The reason for uploading the collections is not clear. However, cybersecurity analysts say that the data may have been released by one hacker as part of a tussle between two hackers with a view to eliminating the other hacker’s ability to make money from it. Or a hacker team may have come to realize that the data is of such low value that it is not worth selling.
The dark web runs on the laws of demand and supply and once the data becomes easily available its value also diminishes. Apart from more obvious data materials such credit or debit card details, it is possible to get access to your social security number, residential address, date of birth and so on.
According to a Veeam survey, half of consumers said they were more worried about losing their important data than their belongings. The exact value of data sold on the dark web cannot be estimated. According to Surrey University cyber security professor Alan Woodward, it depends upon who buys the data and for what. The value of data may go down due to oversupply and the value of personal data of individuals depends on the marketers.
The GDPR implemented in the EU ensures protection of data and privacy of all individuals of the European Union. Although GDPR is applicable to Europe, some companies have declared that they will offer the same privacy protections to all customers, irrespective of where you live.
Digital transformation of your entire vital documents with the help of data conversion company is the best way to organize and store data. However, maximum security must be ensured for the data.