EBooks or digital books are books that are available in electronic format. These books can be downloaded to a computer, PC, Mac, laptop, tablet, smartphone or any other kind of reading device. A professional eBook conversion service provider can convert print and digital books into e-books. E-books are like normally printed textbooks and can have a table of contents, numbered pages, images, and graphics.
Digital books can simplify and augment the overall learning experience. In addition, these books can make the learning process more interactive and engaging. With eBooks, you no longer have to carry your books around from classroom to classroom, home and then back to school again. Ebooks eliminate the need to use sticky notes in the textbook pages, thereby protecting you from detention and paying penalty. In addition, eBooks eliminate the need to sit through hours of lectures; instead, students can actively participate in the learning process. One of the significant advantages of eBooks is that a single device is enough to include the entire year’s syllabus. In fact, eBooks can be introduced to students at a very young age, right from kindergarten to the university level, thus they will never be bored with learning.
Nowadays, online learning environment is a popular option for those who do not have the time or desire to sit in a traditional classroom for hours on end. EBooks have made online study even more convenient and affordable.
The following are the other benefits offered by eBooks to the educational services industry.
- Portability – Digital books are portable. Instead of carrying a bag full of books, students need to carry only a mobile device that supports eBooks. Since an eBook is portable, students can refer to their notes and course materials anytime whenever they need.
- Download any content and go through them later at the student’s convenience – Nowadays, mobile devices offer offline services. This enables students to download any content they want and save it on their device and students can go through them later at their convenience.
- Numerous Interactive Features – Digital books have the tools which help students make notes and highlight content. EBook readers have a lot of interactive features such as annotations, pen tools, page zoom, search option, read aloud etc. However, the most favored tool is the search tool, as it has the ability to find words and topics in an instant. In addition, it helps avoid the time-consuming process of turning pages after pages to find a particular topic or phrase. E-readers allow users to bookmark a page and chapter for future reference. E-readers have built-in dictionary that allows users to quickly find the meanings of words. E-readers allow users to change the font size and style and adjust the brightness of the device.
- Learning process can be made more interesting – Music, animations, videos and audio explanations can be included in the learning module. With videos, the learning process can be made more interesting. One of the benefits of video learning is that students can pause, stop, rewind the video and watch it again. Animations are entertaining and have more retention value. Watching video content helps retain the information much better than reading the same stuff. Therefore, many publishers are now including videos into their eBooks to keep the students engaged in the course material. Videos and animations add an entertainment value while being informative at the same time. It helps improve the ability of students to learn and recollect information.
- Augmented Reality – Augmented Reality (AR) can convert any normal image into an enhanced 3D image, allowing students to view the images from all angles. All that the students need to do is to point their AR app-enabled device at the image or object and a computer-generated visual will pop up on their screen. This 3D image will provide students with an immersive and compelling learning experience. These enhanced visuals will be more interesting for the students over flat diagrams. In addition, AR can have links to relevant external sites, where you can find more information about the projected image.
- Environment-friendly – With eBooks, printing-related costs and the environment can be saved. In order to make printed books, millions of trees are cut down each year. In addition, they involve transportation costs, paper-making costs, and leave behind a carbon footprint. Switching to eBooks helps avoid all these. EBooks also eliminate the need for schools to constantly buy new physical copies of textbooks when curriculum changes and updates are needed.
- Helps provide up-to-date content – With eBooks, all the learning material is stored on the cloud. You can update eBooks anytime you want, and it will be reflected in all eBooks. This helps you ensure that your students have up-to-date information with them at all times. This also saves your reprinting costs.
EBooks help enhance the learning experience of students and improve their academic performance. Partnering with a reliable eBook conversion company will help convert printed books into easily accessible digital format.