There is no doubt that business process outsourcing (BPO) is growing. According to a Grand View Research study report, the BPO industry, which was valued at $232.32 billion in 2020, is expected to show a compound annual growth rate of 8.5% from 2021 to 2028. Back office BPO covers administrative and support functions such as accounting and finance, data entry, document scanning, website design and management, payroll, HR, legal, and much more. The main reason why back office outsourcing is so popular is that it helps organizations achieve efficiency in all of these operations, which in turn, improves business performance.
Business performance depends on several factors and reflects a company’s ability to achieve its commercial objectives. It is related to criteria such as costs, deadlines, product/service quality, and profitability. Outsourcing back office processes ensures that tasks are carried out by professionals which can go a long way driving business performance and revenue.
- Improves Productivity: Outsourcing back office tasks can increase productivity by allowing your employees to focus on what they do best. It frees them from having to handle repetitive and arduous back-office tasks. In fact, managing tasks like data entry and document conversion in-house can prove cumbersome and unproductive. These non-core tasks can be efficiently handled by an experienced back office outsourcing service provider in quick turnaround time. Assigning responsibility for specific processes to an external expert, will allow your team to focus on their core strengths and income-generating processes.
- Lowers Operational Costs: Outsourcing back office operations can provide significant cost savings. In fact, cost reduction is considered one the main advantages of outsourcing work to third parties. The costs of setting up an in-house infrastructure and hiring staff to manage back office tasks like document scanning and data entry can be quite high. Outsourcing allows you to save on hiring, training, payroll expenses, equipment purchase, office space, employee benefits and insurance, and so on. Your valuable resources can be put to use in core areas, while you get your back-office functions done efficiently and cost-effectively, improving your competitive advantage.
- Provides Access to Skilled Professionals: Outsourcing gives businesses access to teams with specialized skills in various areas such as accounting, data entry, IT services, inventory management, supply-chain management, and human resources. Hiring and training full-time employees to do these jobs can be very costly. For instance, outsourced data entry services are a cost-effective way to get time-consuming data entry tasks done efficiently and quickly.
- Streamlines Operations: Reliable outsourcing vendors that operate in different time zones will have arrangements in place that allow them to collaborate with their clients in a flexible way. They can also scale up and down to meet their clients’ seasonal or dynamic market requirements. Good BPOs have the technology and manpower to handle any volume of work and help you manage your projects cost-effectively and improve business performance.
- Improves Resource Utilization: With external resources to manage your back office tasks, companies can significantly improve their management processes. This would ensure that capital, manpower, and other internal resources are allocated efficiently to core activities. Partnering with a reliable BPO vendor will ensure that the flow of your business remains uninterrupted while meeting customer and market demands.
- Supports Smooth Transition to Digitization: Data entry and document scanning services are helping companies meet their digitization goals. BPOs that specialize in these areas enable companies to move from paper-based and manual processes to digital file storage, improving accessing to records. For instance, the adoption of electronic health records was largely made possible by outsourcing the conversion of paper files to digital format.
- Better Managed Business Risks: Business risks are a threat to a company’s performance goals and outsourcing can help mitigate these risks. Internal and external factors can cause different types of business risks: strategic risk, compliance risk, financial risk, operational risk, and so on. For instance, human risk is an internal risk caused by negligence at work, while natural disasters and changing government regulations are examples of external risks. Outsourcing back office support functions help companies mitigate many business risks by ensuring better resource allocation, improving daily operations, enhancing compliance with standards, getting specific tasks performed by experts and reducing risk of errors, etc.
To sum up, the growing focus on boosting business performance by improving efficiency and reducing costs in the face of continually changing market trends are the key factors driving the demand for back office outsourcing solutions. Partnering with the right BPO vendor can help businesses focus on their core competencies which is essential to meet growing industry demands while staying competitive. The key to outsourcing effectively is to do your research well and choose a service provider that can provide the best value for your business with customized outsourced solutions at reasonable prices.