In the rush for digitization, organizations all over the world are now increasingly utilizing document scanning and conversion services to quickly convert their important data into an electronic version. Microfilm and microfiche were popularly used to store huge volumes of data and picture images but other storage mediums such as tapes, CDs, DVDs, hard drives and the cloud have reduced their use considerably.
Organizations now prefer advanced storage devices that store huge amounts of data and ensure excellent quality and manageability of the files. Compared to cloud storage that does not take up any space in an office despite the amount of memory you use, microfilm and microfiche take up considerable space when they are used in large quantities.
Microfilm and microfiche were known for their longevity, which is being surpassed by advanced storage solutions. The problem is that microfilm and microfiche can last long only in optimal conditions; otherwise they may last only for a few years. On the other hand, flash memory and cloud storage solutions can in effect last forever.
What about Organizations that Still Use Microfiche and Microfilm?
Even though the use of microfilm and microfiche is reducing, many organizations still have microfilm and microfiche that contain important data. These can be converted into digital files so that all the documents can be preserved for a longer period of time and also prevent any damages. Here are some simple tips to successfully digitize your microfiche and microfilm.
- Hiring a professional microfilm and microfiche document conversion service. Seek the help of microfilm and microfiche document scanning professionals. You can hire a professional conversion service to digitize your microfiche and microfilm data. Large volume data conversion can be effectively handled and any loss of data prevented.
- Document management software: Investing in document management software will help you handle the digitized documents and make them available online.
- Plan for future microfilm and microfiche document conversion needs: In spite of converting all your microfiche and microfilm, there are still chances that you may receive microfiche and microfilm documents in the future. If so, you may have to invest in a microfilm and microfiche scanner. A more affordable way is to partner with a good document conversion company, in which case you can avoid investing in scanning equipment.
Benefits of Digitizing Microfiche and Microfilm
- Prevent loss of data at the time of disaster: Digitizing microfilm and microfiche helps you to store your data safely from any kind of disaster. You can also create a backup of all important documents.
- Easy access: Conversion of your microfilm and microfiche into digital files helps you to access data quickly. It enables organizations to transfer data and also retrieve it with ease.
- Save storage space: With digitization, offices can save valuable storage space and also get rid of many rolls of films. With more space cleared, the more space employees get to work.
- Improve efficiency: Employees don’t have to spend hours searching for important documents. This improves their efficiency and productivity.