Storing information electronically helps reduce use of space, ease access to information, improve security, reduce wasted resources and back up your system information. Therefore, more and more companies are scanning their important paperwork and converting it into digital format. However, scanning documents is a tiresome task and requires a lot of time. Document scanning companies help scan and convert paper-based documents into your desired file format.
Incorporating effective document imaging in the corporate world helps save a lot of time, costs, as well as natural resources. This is the reason why document imaging has become an integral part of day-to-day business operations.
Benefits of Document Imaging
In fact, savings in terms of time and costs are not the only benefits of converting paper documents into digital images. With Intelligent Document Recognition, Optical Mark Recognition (OMR), Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR), new and exciting possibilities are available.
- Intelligent Document Recognition allows you to scan or import a variety of documents into a system. This does not require an employee to do any prior sorting of the documents. This is highly beneficial when you have to deal with a huge stack of paperwork.
- With OMR, you can capture human-marked data from document forms such as surveys and tests, questionnaires and multiple-choice examination papers and easily compile this information into digital format.
- OCR allows you to electronically convert handwritten or printed text into machine-encoded text, whether from a scanned document or a photo of a document.
- ICR provides you a handwriting recognition system that lets fonts and different styles of handwriting to be learned by a computer during processing.
Pitfalls to Avoid in Document Imaging
To avoid document imaging issues, you should take into consideration the following things.
The first and foremost step is to invest in adequate scanning equipment and this includes an automatic document feeder. Secondly, you have to provide proper training to employees. This will help avoid the common mistakes of document imaging.
Dos and Don’ts in Document Imaging
- Never highlight important information on documents that you intend to scan, as it can lead to error in most cases.
- Never mix staples and scanners. Stapling together items that are intended for scanning will cause issues.
- Never underestimate the importance of accuracy.
- Data entry labor cost should never be overlooked.
- Have a document retention schedule. This schedule will help you keep records that are required by law and get rid of outdated records. Never keep excess files as they may become a liability. Never keep hard copies of files that can be easily accessed on the premises.
Investing in document imaging services is a great way to create an effective records management system, gain access to an easy-to-use, instant and real-time online records management system, protect the lifespan of fragile paper records, better comply with security regulations, expand physical storage capacity of the office, safeguard the welfare of the business and better protect the confidential documents. In addition, document imaging can provide your company with a means of disaster recovery planning in the event of a fire, serious damage or theft.
Instead of performing document scanning and imaging tasks in-house, consider outsourcing it to a professional document scanning and imaging service provider. A reliable service provider will ensure accurate, legible reproduction of original documents, without significant changes or deletion of content.