Data conversion is the conversion of data from one format to another format. Different types of data content that businesses may have such as files, catalogs, databases, PDF, and so on may have to be converted into a single-use, streamlined format to ensure easy access and use. For easy conversion of data, businesses typically utilize a professional data conversion service.
Some of the benefits of data conversion are as follows:
- Converting data from an unstructured format into a digital format. This is a form of data format conversion and helps in structuring the data to extract coherent and meaningful information.
- Accumulating data from paper and file based formats into digital formats. Data entry and conversion helps prevent the data loss for any organization.
- Digital imaging conversion which stores the images in a digital format. This is used especially for identification and recognition of individuals and their records.
- Converting PDF documents into MS Word formats and vice versa. This is one of the services offered for book conversion and is considered a huge benefit in the world of publishing.
Data conversion is also of great importance in the healthcare sector as well as the insurance sector.
When converting data, it is necessary to ensure whether the data
- is converted into a suitable format that fits the destination database
- is transferred accurately
- works in the new destination database
- retains its quality
- consistency is maintained at all times across all systems using that particular data
However, there are challenges that exist in the way of smooth and successful data conversion. These include the following:
- Challenges of transfer of data from legacy systems and replacements to new systems as well as system consolidations
- Combining structured and unstructured data could create new difficulties, making it more difficult to convert such data into a particular format
- Project timelines create challenges in completing the task
- Challenges exist in ensuring that the quality and accessibility remains unaltered following the conversion.
Essential Strategies for Successful Data Conversion
The following are some key strategies that you need to apply to ensure the success of your data conversion projects. These include:
- Good Planning – Successful data conversion needs good planning. All data conversion projects should start with defining the boundaries of the project. Plan your project by asking a number of questions such as the following to define these boundaries.
- What sort of data needs to be converted?
- What is the quality of data and its availability? Does it require full or partial conversion?
- Which data should be moved to the new database?
- Which data should not be moved?
- What types of formats are needed for data conversion?
- What is the original data format and what is the final format?
- Is the destination database compatible with the software used for data and HTML conversion?
- What are the data conversion standards to be used, if any, for the successful completion of data conversion projects?
- What are the guidelines for the process?
- What would be the tentative duration of project?
- How often would do you need to carry out the data conversion?
- Make People on the Business Side Understand the Significance of Data Conversion – People on the business side of the organization may not understand the importance of data conversion. Therefore, it is very crucial to make them understand the significance of data conversion in data processing and management; about how the quality of data conversion can affect subsequent processes that makes use of this data. Thus, data conversion is a task critical from business and technical perspectives.
- Define and Implement Data Quality Standards – This helps to ensure consistency across different databases. It is essential to consistently measure and track data quality and check its effects on the value of the business.
- Data Profiling and Cleansing – Make sure that proper data profiling and data cleansing procedures are in place, so that the data is of high quality. This will help smoothen out subsequent data conversion procedures.
- Satisfy All Principles of Data Governance and Data Management – After data conversion, ensure that the duplicate master data is eliminated. This helps reduce the risk of incorrect transactions and unreliable reports. The data conversion project should satisfy all principles of data management and data governance.
Partnering with an experienced data conversion company would be a great option for businesses that require data conversion service. Small scale as well as large scale data can be converted into the desired format, ensuring easy access to it at any time.