Bringing your family history together is a simple way to keep track of all important information about your family. Preserving old photos, documents, letters, newspaper articles and other items helps people discover their heritage and traditional customs and is a great learning experience. It is therefore important to preserve these data to connect with the past. The ideal method to store such valuable data is through document conversion. Digitization of all past documents also helps future generations learn more about their family lineage.
A genealogy database should be:
- East to maintain
- Not very expensive
- Safe and comprehensible
Filing genealogy data
A straight forward numerical or alphabetic system of filing of genealogy data is the ideal way of filing papers and documents. Common filing methods would include:
- Surname, individual: Alphabetical arrangement of all paper of an individual are filed together
- Family line: Every record related to a specific family are filed together
- Event: Papers of a particular event are filed together
- Couple or Family: All records belonging to a family or a couple are kept together
Different ways of storing genealogy data
- Binders: Binders are portable and ideal for storing genealogical data that are in similar paper format. A three-hole punch on the documents can be made to secure the documents and prevent loss of data.
- Filing folders and cabinets: This is one of the most popular methods of storing documents. Folders and cabinets are portable and can store papers of any size. This method is expandable, flexible and would accommodate numerous documents.
- Computer CDs, DVD or any other storage device: This is one of the most efficient methods of storing genealogical data. Valuable genealogical documents can be stored in storage device using scanning and document conversion. As electronic and digital storage devices can hold huge volumes of data, this also saves a lot of physical storage space. It prevents loss of data, though you should make sure that you keep a backup in case of any electronic failure or disaster.
Preserving your family history is a great way to connect with the past and create a sense a pride about your family. However, digitization of your delicate and precious documents must be handled carefully, a task which requires special skills. For that, you can always depend on a reliable data conversion company that provides high quality document scanning services at affordable rates.