Nothing is more important to any business than the accurate input of data. Errors in data entry, however minor, would have far-reaching adverse effects on your organization, especially if the wrongly entered data was distributed and used throughout your system. Think of the reprocessing costs, lost customers, lost goodwill, and lost business that could result from seemingly minor, but actually significant data entry errors.
In the health care industry, data entry errors can relate to both data entry mistakes and to the wrongful interpretation of the data in the original documents. Examples include entry of incorrect names and addresses, incorrect Social Security Numbers, duplication of records and incorrect filing of the documents in the database. Conformity could also be an issue. For instance, if date of diagnosis is entered as a Sunday, and the procedure leading to the diagnosis is not normally conducted on a Sunday, it points to a serious lack of consistency. Data entry lapses in health care establishments can have serious consequences for the patient and service provider.
Quality checks for the input of data:
- Completeness – has all the data been entered or is something missing?
- Uniformity – are the entered values consistent across data sets?
- Conformity to standard values – does the data conform to specified formats?
- Accuracy – are the spellings of names, addresses or products correct?
- Reliability – Is there any duplication of data?
Outsourcing to professional data entry company is the best way for health care practices and other businesses to avoid such errors and maximize data entry gains at affordable rates.