The prime resource of an organization is its records or documents. Today, businesses are increasingly opting for document scanning services to digitize paper records and improve productivity, efficiency and workflow. However, experts say that good document management is not about going 100 percent paperless. Hard copies of important documents need to be preserved. Therefore, when it comes to managing their documents effectively, organizations need to strike the right balance between digital documents and their physical copies.
A paperless office is the key to the smooth running of a business nowadays. Bulk document scanning help organizations improve the speed of communication by converting paper documents into electronic format. Documents that are digitally saved can be accessed quickly and easily when needed, and also archived for further use. But when digitization is implemented, it doesn’t mean that hard copies of all documents should be shredded or discarded. It is important to keep hard copies of important business documents such as:
- Articles of incorporation
- Corporate by laws
- Tax forms
- Financial documents
- Annual reports
- Promissory notes
- Employee identification numbers
- IRS and other government correspondence
- Customer information
Here are some important things to keep in mind while storing physical copies of important documents:
- Once documents are scanned, they can be archived and stored off-site
- A secure off-site storage can facilitate to keep your inactive files safe
- Be organized while relocating your hard copies to off-storage and clearly label them for easy identification
- Ensure that off-site storage areas abide by the laws and regulations set forward by your business’s governing entities
- Ensure the storage area is acid-free and light and heat sources are minimized.
- Even if you have taken precautions to protect all your physical copies, always have an emergency plan to handle unexpected disasters.
When it comes to document scanning, choose an experienced outsourced solutions service provider. The right company will ensure quality services in quick turnaround time and also provide archiving solutions to manage your digital documents. Cloud stored documents are easy to access, retrieve, edit, store and share. This can be the perfect back-up plan when it comes to disasters like flood, fire or theft.
Both paper document and digitized documents are mediums for effective record management. Success lies in striking the right balance.