This is the digital age – mobile devices, social media, sophisticated technologies, and real-time file sharing are unique characteristics that distinguish this era. To ensure maximum productivity, present day employees need to access information at the click of a button, which makes electronic conversion of paper documents and document scanning solutions prime considerations in business offices. However, studies show that almost 70 – 80 percent of business processes are still being managed on paper in many organizations, and this trend is particularly seen in the healthcare industry. To realize all the benefits offered by Big Data, hospitals for instance, must go paperless and speed up processes.
Making the Transition with Bulk Document Scanning
Hospitals, clinics and other healthcare units have to deal with huge volumes of medical records for their day-to-day activities and physicians have to retain patient medical records for a minimum of 10 years. This requires allocation of physical space to store all important patient charts, insurance claims, treatment authorizations etc., and access to data also becomes difficult with paper files. With large volume data to manage, making the transition from a paper-based environment to a digital one can be quite challenging.
- Healthcare organizations must ensure that the transition is thoroughly planned and implemented.
- It is important that the document and chart conversion needs are effectively addressed for the transition.
- All existing documents and information have to be made into digital assets. This requires detailed evaluation and consideration of a reliable document scanning solution.
- The staff must be trained on the conversion of back files and day-forward documents procedures.
- To make sure that all paper documents are successfully digitized, some options include:
- Have in place a manual in-house scanning process in which the paper documents are scanned directly into a solution.
- Consider buying a document scanning solution that offers highly sophisticated information indexing.
- Make use of outsourced solutions offered by a service provider specialized in document conversion for physicians and healthcare systems.
Important Considerations When Choosing a Document Scanning Solution
- Ensure the integrity of data and image quality
- Make sure that it is easy to use and functions smoothly
- Consider the speed of scanning and whether it can meet your specific requirements
- Consider whether a backup scanner would be needed in case you have high volume of paperwork being digitized
- If outsourcing, an important consideration is the level of service the document scanning company can offer
Advantages of Healthcare Document Conversion
Medical document scanning facilitates information sharing and real-time access to patient information. It allows clinicians and administrators to make the right decisions at the right time. Following are some of the advantages of digitizing healthcare records.
- Better productivity and improved patient care: Digitization of medical records reduces the time to access patient data. This enables clinicians to provide better care and improve productivity and efficiency.
- Easy to manage and less human error: Converting the medical records into digital form minimizes human errors and ensures patient safety. It protects physicians from potential regulatory and legal sanctions. Digitization also helps in efficiently managing all data related to healthcare. Each document can be indexed and stored safely in an organized and systematic way.
- Increase security and maintain regulatory compliance: Digitizing paper documents allows healthcare administrators to monitor record activity. You can limit access to sensitive healthcare data and thereby increase confidentiality. This ensures security and compliance with applicable regulations, disaster recovery and enhanced auditing.
- Less cost: With digitization of medical data, the need for physical storage is minimized and it reduces the expenses associated with storage.
Making the right choice of scanning solution is the primary step to becoming paperless. You need to have the most effective way to store and manage all of your healthcare documentation and information. To ensure speed and ease of transition to a digital environment, ensure that your solution offers the appropriate scanning volume and superior quality images. It is important that all back files and day-forward documents are efficiently converted, and a document conversion protocol established and followed as part of your businessâ€™s strategy in your digital transition.