You may be facing an archive of paper documents that you want to be scanned and digitized. You are considering performing the document scanning in-house, but before actually embarking on this process there are some important things to consider to ensure efficient and accurate scanning.
- Estimate the time and cost involved for the project: Before starting your digitization process, estimate the time required for the completion of the project. Consider whether you are scanning double-sided or single-sided paperwork, how many pages are to be scanned, how to index your documents etc. This will help you to calculate the time required for the digitization process. Also have a clear idea about the cost involved and resources required.
- Choosing the right scanner: You must have the right document scanner to ensure quality output. Make sure that you choose a good vendor who can help you choose the right equipment ideal for your requirements and within your budget.
- Get organized: To facilitate the scanning process the first and foremost step is to organize the documents that are to be scanned. Make sure that all the staples and paperclips are removed. All the documents should be arranged in the right order and labelled clearly to avoid any confusion.
- Index efficiently: Indexing of documents is a critical step in the digitization process. Document indexing refers to the process of associating or tagging documents with different ‚Äúsearch‚ÄĚ terms. Indexing documents helps in finding your text easily. Set up the indexes for your files that describe what the document is about. Indexing is one of the most important factors for successful document management.
Why Digitize Your Paper Documents
Document scanning and conversion is an efficient option for various reasons such as:
- Reduces office storage space
- Makes your office environment friendly
- Provides efficient document storage
- Helps improve customer service
- Ensures quick retrieval of documents
If yours is a big enterprise, you may find it difficult to handle the huge volume paper documents. If the work is too labor- and cost- intensive and is just beyond what you can manage, consider outsourcing document scanning process. Make sure that you choose reliable document scanning services that can offer optimal results at affordable rates. Ideally, your outsourcing partner should be able to meet your volume and turnaround time requirements. Look for a vendor that can offer customized services.