In this Internet-savvy era, almost all information is now available in digital format for easy access and transmission. Both multinational corporations to small and medium sized businesses are moving to digitized data to enhance productivity. All types of paper documents, photographs, maps, and audio and video tapes can be converted to digital format.
The best way for a firm looking to deal with voluminous conversion tasks is to rely on a professional business process outsourcing (BPO) company. The right service provider would have state-of-art infrastructure which includes custom built scanning systems and an experienced team of professionals who can handle valuable documents and other material without damaging them.
Scanning to create an electronic image of the source document is the first step in the process of digitization. To digitize it, value is then added by providing searchability, metadata and data capture.
For instance, think of a firm with about 500 boxes of paper documents to scan and digitize. After scanning, your BPO company can add pages to a database for your use. The 500 boxes would be labeled in specific way such as alphabetically by City and Year. They can provide you with software that allows full queries by indexing with an in-built viewing system. You would probably be charged a monthly fee for database maintenance. You gain a system that will provide you with easy access to your electronic data and allow you to add on more data as it comes in.
You can expect digitization services customized to suit your needs:
- Digitization of books, reports, manuscripts, bound documents and other materials
- Microfilm and microfiche digitization
- Formats accepted would include VHS, 8mm, Hi 8, Beta, Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) video formats as well as 8 track, reel to reel, cassette, CD or DVD.
- Material with large formats such as maps, newspaper, posters, county records, atlases are digitized carefully and accurately
- Loose material items like HR records, mortgage documentation, resumes, invoices, insurance applications, account payable items and legal documents are scanned with automatic document feeder (ADF) equipment.
- All information present in photographic slides and nitrate negatives can be successfully reproduced in digital format.
An established BPO company can even provide businesses with document management solutions. Relying on such services allows you to get high quality digital files of your original documents for ease of access, sharing, retrieval and storage. Partnering with the right company can save you 30-40% on your operational expenses.