Intellectual property litigation is big business and a challenge that quite often run into millions of dollars. What is it that causes various countries to protect the Intellectual properties? Intellectual property rights are protected for the following categories according to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). The WIPO a specialized agency of the United Nations is dedicated to developing a balanced and accessible international intellectual property (IP) system. Intellectual properties are protected with following objectives,
- To give moral and economic rights to creations
- To give the public right to access the creation
- To promote creativity /innovation
- Dissemination and application of knowledge
- To encourage fair trade
- Safeguard public interest
Intellectual property is divided into two categories,
- Industrial property, which includes inventions (patents), trademarks, industrial designs, and geographic indications of source;
- Copyright, which includes literary and artistic works such as novels, poems and plays, films, musical works, artistic works such as drawings, paintings, photographs and sculptures, and architectural designs.
An International Roundtable on the Economics of Intellectual Property is scheduled from Nov 26, 2007 to Nov 27, 2007 in Geneva, Switzerland. April 26th is celebrated as the world IP day to increase public understanding of IP. The aims of World IP Day are:
- To raise awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life;
- To increase understanding of how protecting IP rights helps promote creativity and innovation;
- To celebrate creativity, and the contribution made by creators and innovators to the development of societies across the globe;
- To encourage respect for the IP rights of others.
Take a look at the World IP Day Gallery at http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/world_ip/2007/posters.html
Managed Outsource Solutions is a US based BPO and legal outsourcing services provider with specialization in Intellectual property litigation, patent infringement, legal documentation, legal research, legal transcription, legal animation and legal website designing for clients in the US, Canada the UK and Australia.