The technology behind bar code services is very simple yet quite efficient and quick. A bar code may be compared to a car’s number plate or license number that is used as identification. The bar code basically consists of a reference number which when fed into a computer can get more information about the subject in question.
The bar code has to be printed on to a product or a printed bar code sticker has to be fixed on to items like is usually done in Supermarkets where the bar code is read with a light source and is fed to the computer for all details of the products, its rate and other descriptions to be displayed for the purpose of billing and sales.
What happens in the supermarket when the staff runs the bar code scanner over the printed bar code sticker?
- The light source from the scanner is absorbed by the dark color bars of the bar codes and the lighter spaces reflect the light.
- The reflected light is received by a photo cell detector which converts the light energy into electrical signals.
- During the scanning process two types of high and low signals gets created.
- Scanner’s decoder decodes the bar code signals and identifies it.
- Data is fed onto the computer as regular text (not bar code) data.
Bar codes are highly useful and have applications in different industries including health care, retail marketing, security etc. As the bar code technology is very easy to use and is also very quick with almost nil possibility of error it is bound to be around for along time to come. Compared to the human eye, the barcode scanner is hundreds of times more efficient and cost-effective. Another similar technology to the barcode technology is the RFID (radio frequency identification) technology that uses the radio frequency signals instead of the optical laser technology as used in bar codes.
Managed Outsource Solutions (MOS) is a US based BPO pioneer and outsourcing company that offers competitively priced bar code services besides other data entry services including, data mining, data cleaning and KDD solutions to clients in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia.