What is meant by digitization? It is the process of representing an image, an analog signal or an object, as a series of integers. However these digital representations are discrete and digitization can only approximately represent a signal but without any loss of information.
The digitization process involves reading of an analog signal at periodic intervals which is known as sampling. It is also possible to convert these series of integers back into the original analog signal. The quality of digitization will vary depending on the type of sampling rates etc. Old libraries that have multitudes of manuscripts and books that have accumulated over the ages are now being scanned and digitized all around the world. Now digital libraries are fast replacing the conventional libraries.
The advantages of digitization are many, such as:
- No physical limits for storage
- Can be accessed via the Internet
- 24/7 availability of access
- Great saving of space (example ? library)
- Preservation of old texts/ manuscripts
- Easy retrieval of information using keywords
- Integrated online resource sharing
- It is cheaper to maintain digital library than book library
- Linking and networking possibilities
- Any number of times digital files can be duplicated with exactness.
- Many can access a digital file at the same time
Today due to digitization all knowledge has become very accessible especially due to the free open access repositories that are made available. Managed Outsource Solutions (MOS) is an Oklahoma based data entry and BPO services provider that offers a wide range of services like digitization, data entry, data processing, data conversion data capture, OCR, ICR, data mining, web extraction, knowledge discovery and data cleaning services for clients globally and specifically in the US, Canada the UK and Australia.