Legal Outsourcing is here to stay. Here are a few points to assert it.
- Ethics opinion supporting legal outsourcing have been issued by bar associations
- Forrester Research predicts 4 billion dollar industry by 2015
- Global certification programs for LPO have started
One of the basic necessities in outsourcing especially in legal process outsourcing is the need to be collaborative, something that has probably not been much in the line of the lawyers work until now. The lawyers are different from the IT and business people who have always been used to working in collaboration. Conventionally the law communities dig deep into any contract before signing it. But now it will have to be different. They will have to see the long term benefits and see issues with a larger perspective with the major focus on the economic advantages of LPO deals.
Some of the challenges faced and the work to be done by the outsourcing lawyers include,
- Ask all types of questions like who why and what about the contract
- Vendor due diligence is a must
- As time is critical every aspect of deal/project should have a definite time frame.
- Communicate first with the service provider/ supplier and help formulate a method of collaboration between the outsourcing law firm and the offshore firm that is going to do the work.
- Avoid pushing hard and using less tactics while negotiating
- Should be able to identify potential risks of deal beforehand if any
- Involve less people and try to close deals discussing the essentials
Like in all industries, innovations and process changes also happen in the legal services sector. Quick recent changes in the legal arena have been the need for e-discovery and outsourcing. These were expected as it is a direct result of growing technology and globalization. Over the years the legal industry will adapt itself and accept legal outsourcing / offshoring not as a necessary evil but as a welcome change for the better future.
Managed Outsource Solutions (MOS) is a US based legal outsourcing service provider for clients in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia offering services like, legal transcription, legal document preparation, litigation support, legal research, IP litigation support, due diligence, legal coding, legal animation and legal webs site design. Outsourcing is done both domestically as well as to offshore locations in India and the Philippines